Sunday, January 3, 2010

Review: The Princess and the Frog

This was one of my most anticipated movies of last year. When I heard that Disney was returning to 2D animation with a movie set in New Orleans, my excitement shot up like shirts at Mardi Gras. And that it was being developed by the creators of The Little Mermaid and Aladdin had me wishing on a star that it would be on the same level as those films.

I enjoyed the movie, but sadly, it never lived up to my expectations. The movie focuses on important messages like: finding who you are to find out what you need; and, if you work hard, stay patient and set your mind on something, anything is possible. Tiana, a strong young independent woman, works two waiting jobs to fulfill her and her fathers dream of opening a restaurant in New Orleans. She is raised hearing fairy tales about princesses wishing on a star and living happily ever after, but is reminded by her father that you need to help the star along the way by working hard if you want your wish to come true.

This is a great message to focus on post Katrina and is relevant in today's current economy, but the storytellers beat this into your brain every chance that they get. With songs like, "Almost There", and, "Dig a Little Deeper", characters are literally singing the messages the filmmakers are trying to express. I personally think a more subtle approach to teaching lessons (Beauty and the Beast) would be more affective.

Throughout, I was really trying to get into it, but I ultimately was never engaged in the story or the characters. The best Disney movies have great sidekicks and secondary characters that are funny and charming, but I didn't fall in love with anyone in this movie. The best character to me was the villain voodoo doctor, Dr. Facilier, who is perfectly voice cast and has a great character design. One of the better Disney villains in recent memory. A positive note is that Tiana provides a great role model for all girls and young women.

The music is classic Disney and I love that it's a return to the musical format. My favorite song is, "Friends on the Other Side", sung by Dr. Facilier. Some great jazz work there.

I do hope this movie does well in the box office so that Disney keeps putting out 2D animated movies. The traditionally animated Disney movie is a cultural diamond that would be a shame to lose. But, eventhough I enjoyed it, I didn't love it. I was disappointed with what could have been considering the rich reference material. I guess just wishing on a star isn't enough anymore.

Lobo says: 2.5 powdered beignets out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment