Monday, January 4, 2010

Review: Black Dynamite

Saw Black Dynamite, my first movie of the year, at Landmark E Street Cinemas in D.C. on the Friday January 1 at midnight with Hombre Lobo, Erick B. Rackim, and several others. We also stayed for the Q&A with the director afterwards.

Cost breakdown:

One dollar on gas (Approximate; three miles from where I was was, including stoplights and searching for parking)
Eleven dollars on a ticket.
Eleven dollars on a popcorn and beer.

So was it worth it? I just don't know.

I don't remember much of the film because to be honest I was a little drunk. But I laughed. I giggled. I may have passed out a few times. The film's a classic crowd pleaser, with hoots and hollers and laughs galore. The look was great; the director used some old-school film and techniques. Gags were everywhere, from boom mics in shots to perhaps the greatest, longest stream of consciousness deduction of a conspiracy plot ever. Not surprisingly, the most resonant moments in the films are its jokes, not its story or characters, but this may be because of my inebriated state. I'm just not sure. But I'm definitely going to catch this one again when I add it to my Blu-Ray collection. Here's hoping the next films will stick with me a little more.

3 comments:

  1. Were you drunk when you wrote this review?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's impressive how he can't remember much of the film, but can remember the details of the night and had the foresight to keep all his receipts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey man it's 2010. times are changing, memories are being lost.

    ReplyDelete